In 1816 the Anglican Church Missionary Society opened a small private school for girls in the mountainside village of Charlotte in Sierra Leone with only eight students on the roll.
The school began with a vision to educate and train young African girls in pursuit of excellence in all areas, including high academic performance, sound discipline and a solid Christian foundation.
Annie Walsh, for whom the school is named, was a young English girl whose dream was to work in Africa as a missionary.
Sadly, she died in a tragic accident before fulfilling her dream. Her parents established the Annie Walsh Memorial School Fund which was added to monies collected by the Christian Missionary Society of the Anglican Church and used to erect the first school buildings.
In 1865 the school moved to its present location in Freetown on Kissy Road and was formally named the Annie Walsh Memorial School in 1878.
THE SCHOOL’S MOTTO:
Non Sibi Sed Omnibus ~ Not for Self but for All
The flower is the EASTER LILY - it used to grow all over the school and bloomed at Easter.
This EASTER LILY symbolizes Peace, Purity, Rebirth and Hope. It is most often associated with the Resurrection of Jesus Christ and motherhood. It is also gifted to mothers as a symbol of gratitude.
The Trumpet shape of the EASTER LILY represents the Trumpet, sounding the message that Jesus has risen.
The EASTER LILY is a white flower with golden pollens and green leaves, our School colours - GREEN and ORANGE for the Pupils and WHITE for THE OLD GIRLS!
With all these enlightenments THE ANNIE WALSH MEMORIAL SCHOOL is a CHRISTIAN school.
NON SIBI SED OMNIBUS
2008 to date: Mrs Ophelia Morrison (Senior School SSS)
2017 to date: Mrs Antoinette Horton (Junior School JSS)
1849 - 1869: Miss Sass
1869 - 1870: Miss Caiger
1870 - 1872: Temporary Heads
1872 - 1875: Miss Caiger
1875 - 1878: Miss Caspari
1878 - 1879: Temporary Head
1879 - 1883: Miss Burton
1883 - 1888: Miss Ansell
1888 - 1889: Miss Anderson
1889 - 1894: Miss Dunkley
1894 - 1917: Miss Bissett
1917 - 1926: Miss Pidsley
1926 - 1927: Temporary Head
1927 - 1930: Miss Hamblet
1930 - 1954: Miss Pole
1954 - 1961: Miss Colbeck
1961 - 1975: Mrs Lati Hyde-Forster (First African Principal of the School)
1975 - 1985: Mrs Europa Wilson-Agwu
1985 - 1995: Madame Graciefields Williams
1995 - 2007: Mrs Antoinette Roberts
In 1998 the school was split into Senior and Junior:
2007 - 2008: Mrs Amanda Johnson (Senior School)
2005 - 2010: Mrs Brenda Davies (Junior School)
2010 - 2017: Mrs Helen Hamilton (Junior School)